2013年4月8日星期一

Noordzee Mer du Nord, Brussels

If you're going to Brussels, this will definitely be something that I would ask you to try. You may not like museums, you may not love arts, but you must eat! Right?

There are two reasons to eat at Noordzee Mer du Nord. First, for the fresh seafood. Second, for an experience of what locals do. I always like to try what locals do or recommend. When I was doing homework for this trip, this small little shop just keep popping up on Tripadvisor, or some other blogs. So, I've decided no matter what it takes, I MUST go!

And we finally did!
 photo brussels_zpsc969c078.jpg

When we asked Jan, the owner of our B&B regarding this place. He told us this shop started as a shop that sells seafood. Then one day, they served the customers fish soup. And somehow the fish soup got famous, and slowly they started to serve meals. But still, they sell the fresh seafood like they always do.

I knew exactly what I want to order even before I go (after nights and nights of reading what other tourists had....)

No. 1: Fish Soup
 photo merdunord2_zpsffe36dc2.jpg

No. 2: Scampi
 photo merdunord5_zpsfe07b82b.jpg

These were the two most recommended on the internet.

No. 3: Scallop (Saw some very appetising photos by Japanese tourists)
 photo merdunord3_zpsa0e1e24b.jpg

It appears the scallop was only average. Don't be confused, it's really one scallop. When the kind girl asked me, one? I said yes, I thought that means one portion... Apparently it meant one scallop! But it's a mistake in a bliss, since it's just average, we have more stomach space for more food!

 photo merdunord4_zpscb77340e.jpg

She recommended this to us, but sadly I've forgotten the name of the dish. I'm not a shell person, we ordered because she recommended and yes, it's fresh.

We realised the crowd started to come in as we're eating, by 12.30pm, customers have to move more tables to the open space opposite the street. And yes, don't be surprised, it is not a restaurant, so you're not expecting a place to sit. Stand outside like everybody else, eat that fresh seafood and drink the white wine :)
 photo merdunord6_zpse633c92b.jpg

We're so tempted to order more, the Man was really happy when I agreed let's eat more! (Because I normally raise white flag that I can't take any more food anymore) He ordered what Jan recommended, shrimp croquette. And deep fried calamari, which I  insisted not to order because of the Spain experience, I generalised that European calamari is not as delicious. But Noordzee Mer du Nord proved me wrong.

 photo merdunord7_zps34a75c14.jpg
 photo merdunord8_zps9d6ddab3.jpg
 photo merdunord9_zpsa5090a1f.jpg
 photo merdunord10_zps9a5c1d8e.jpg

So how it works?
Order your food from the counter and make the payment. Then, they will ask for your name. Get a table to stand around, or you can chose to eat at the counter as well, while enjoying the view of the kitchen. Wait for collection of the food, they will shout out your name!

Tips:
If you're going there for lunch, try to make it by 12pm. After that the crowd will start to come in. I think it's a perfect timing because you get to eat, while enjoy the atmosphere.

How to go?
The address is 45 Rue Sainte Catherine. The nearest metro station is St Catherine.

We spent 36.50Euro with whatever I've listed above and two glasses of wine.

没有评论: