2015年2月4日星期三

Feed the Mommy (and Daddy)——Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken

 photo 2015-02-02185825_zps8fa4cb00.jpg
Slow cooker teriyaki chicken on rice

To minimize my effort in cooking, I've recently tried my best to utilize my slow cooker. And I came across this recipe on Rasa Malaysia, so I decided to give it a try. Seems simple enough to make.

However, the recipe requires making the teriyaki sauce from scratch, which I do not think I want to make that effort. So, as usual, I bought a bottle of ready made teriyaki sauce.

Ingredients (for 2):

  1. Two skinless chicken thighs
  2. Teriyaki sauce
  3. Honey
  4. 2 or 3 cloves of garlic
Method:
  1. Place the chicken thighs into the slow cooker
  2. Pour in teriyaki sauce to cover half of the chicken
  3. Add 2 or 3 tablespoon of honey (depending on the sweetness level you like)
  4. Add water to cover most of the chicken
  5. Peel the skin of the garlic, and lightly crush them. Place them into the sauce
  6. Turn on the slow cooker at high, let it cook for 4-5 hours
  7. About two hours, turn the chicken over so that the top side is soaked with the delicious sauce too
  8. Bring the chicken out and shred them. It should fall out from the bones pretty easily
  9. Pour the sauce into sauce pan, add corn starch and let it simmer a few minutes to thicken the sauce
  10. Pour the sauce on top of the shredded chicken, add sesame and spring onions to dress if you have (obviously I didn't have them, that's why the picture look so plain...)
For my first trial, I actually poured the teriyaki sauce to cover three quarter of the chicken. Which unfortunately caused the dish to be a little too salty. Hence, I recommend only cover them half. Besides that, buying the teriyaki sauce can be quite expensive. Hence, for next trial when I finish this bottle, I'd buy the thicker marinade sauce and dilute them on my own. 

Besides, I think thickening the sauce is really optional. I think this dish will also be fantastic with noodles. Next time I'll try serving this with noodles, and pour the sauce on top of the noodles without thickening it. And serve with a poached egg and steam vege, I think it'll be so nice!

没有评论: