2016年12月24日星期六

Don't Take Things for Granted

Favourite spot in living room, on my coffee table

I have countless moments where I want to tell parents, don't complain, don't take this naughty action of your child granted, don't. Because you know what, I want that. Quite badly.

When my son finally climbed up to the coffee table (because my sister was seen by him eating banana in the video call we had), we cheered, we clapped for him, we encouraged him, we grinned from ear to ear. When he does that again and again, I don't stop him, I didn't tell him he's naughty, in fact, I told him he's doing well. Then he got down from the table, climb onto the sofa, and trying to reach the top of the sofa. I watched him closely, guided him, stood behind him in case he falls, but I wanted so badly to see him practice these skills.

I have IKEA catalog or some unwanted magazines around for him. So that he can flip them, so that he can tear them, it's just so that he can practice the not-so-commonly-thought-as-skills type of skills that he's lacking of. But I want him to be more consistent.

When he refused to sleep on our bed, and rolled down and got down of the bed on his own. I smiled. Let him walk around until he's satisfied before I put him back in his prison (cot) so that he can't get out anymore. But I'm proud that he had finally overcome his fear to get down of the bed on his own.

When he tried to reach for his Mickey Mouse in his cot from my bed, and accidentally fell into it. And not crying, just a bit frightened, I taught him how to get in properly. I taught him how to climb up to my bed when he wants to. Because, I want to know, so badly that he can do it.

And I'm so glad that he is now telling us he does not want something by shaking his head rigorously. Milk? No no! Carry? No no! A stranger auntie tried to touch him in hawker last weekend, he looked at her and shake his head. I was really glad auntie respected him and did not touch him. When The Man asked him, milk? He shook. And he asked again, "are you sure?", he nodded. Good boy, now I wasted much lesser milk than I did in past one month.

All these, listed above are some improvements achieved from time to time with a lot of practice, training, sweat and tears.

So, to all parents out there, please, don't take it for granted.

没有评论: